Pages

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Opinionated: Beauty Standards

Happy Daisy Life
a warning: if you think to be pretty, women should be tall, slender, hairless and 'perfect', you should probably skip this post, but I'd be interested to hear your reasoning, leave your opinions in the comments box if you so wish.
Happy Daisy Life
Why should I care that my thighs are significantly larger than average? They're strong enough to carry me and with them I can walk for miles. Why should I care that my face is round and my skin is like a teenagers? Why should I shave my legs if I don't want to? They're my legs. The same goes for my eyebrows, frankly I have better things to do with my time than spend hours removing my body hair, week-on-week. I've never cared for designer clothes advertised in magazines, so why should I crave the body that goes with them?

I'm not going to wear contact lenses just to 'look a little bit prettier' because they make my eyes burn and I can't see properly. I'm not going to spend ages straightening my hair, it's curly and frizzy and I like it. I'd rather not have to panic about rain and humidity and it's effect on my hairstyle, thanks all the same. I might not wear a size 8, or 10, or 12, but if it's a choice between a slice of chocolate cheese cake or a lettuce leaf, well, I know which one I'll choose. Being thin won't earn me a place in heaven.

I am curvy in all the right places (as well as some of the wrong ones!) and I have wild, home dyed hair that has a mind of it's own, my eyes are bright blue and hidden behind glasses the best part of the time. My thighs will always chafe in the summer and my skin will never be clear, but you know what? I'll smile and I'll look beautiful. I am not fifteen anymore and I will not be bullied by advertising corporations or idtentikit fashion clones.

Loving yourself is the bravest of all.

A ♥

5 comments:

  1. Right on sister! Our looks and appearance should never be a measure of our worth, or our self-worth. People should be admired for their wit, intelligence, sense of humour - not whether they have a thigh-gap or not. I NEVER shave my legs, and I am quite okay with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! The world is a warped and twisted place!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you i'm 15 and am only starting to feel comfortable to be who I am! I like being unique and I couldn't live without chocolate. I'm happy on the inside and outside and no longer be fooled by magazine photos and edited ones. We should be loved for who we are! - Becky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky! It's brilliant that you're staying true to yourself! It's really hard to do that in a high school environment - if the bitchiness at my school was anything to go by, anyway! Stay strong and spread the word of unique-ness! Axx

      Delete
    2. Woo! Go Amy :) I have complete sympathy thigh chafing-wise!!
      This mini-rant sounds similar to our bikini-waxing conversation not too long ago (not sure if you remember - but I had three pro-bald crazy people having a go at me!)
      Beth xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...